Friday 28 September 2012

stop! drop! and look...

Hey there Making Things Clubbers, Chris here with a little creative inspirational rant for all your eager peepers to read!

While I was recently away in Buenos Aires I caught site of this quirky little article on theonion.com


It kind of tickled me and made me giggle at myself a bit, as I realised that I while was in this amazing city in another part of the world,  so much of my experience was mediated by what I'd read in my guidebook and what I'd seen online.

Then I started thinking about the real difference between finding inspiration on 'Stumble Upon' and actually s-t-u-m-b-l-i-n-g u-p-o-n something in real life, and I realised that although I truly appreciate and indulge myself in the comfort of scouring the internet and finding inspiration from my couch, it's much more fun and rewarding to explore, choose your own path, and find inspiration around yourself in the real world.

Although the onion is obviously taking the piss, they are making a very interesting point and I think it reaches all the way to us crafters. How weird is it that we buy or make so many things without actually seeing them, or how often to we take inspiration from something physically infront of us rather something virtually infront of us? Obviously convenience is a big part of it, as when we need to draw a silhouette of a bird it's much easier to google 'bird' than go out birdwatching... but wouldn't if be nice if we gave ourselves that luxury of a little birdwatching time now and then? ESPECIALLY when on holiday?!

So to completely go against my point, I'm going to post some photos of the inspirational bits and bobs I literally stumbled upon on my holidays... with the hopes that you might share the things you find inspiring around you and we might all take a little more time to take notice, or walk a different route home and give ourselves a few extra minutes to look around and find a little inspiration somewhere different!

I've already blogged about my adventures in Buenos Aires' Yarn District here, but check out some of the other random things that caught my eye in B.A.











Now I'm not saying you have to travel around the world to find inspiration - so I want you to share some of the everyday things you find inspiration from with us... maybe we can map a Bristol inspiration trail and have a little Making Things Club excursion one day soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment